Re: Stream event structure

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: Stream event structure
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 21:09:47 +0200

On Thursday 06 September 2007, Ralph Little wrote:

> Hi Erik,
> Many thanks for this - your comments below confirm what I suspected
> about ids - the context that gets the event is whatever happens to be
> the bottom listening context at the time.
>
> I will look through what you have sent and see if I can get something
> working.
>
> I'm really trying to get this Braille export thing off the ground and it
> seemed like a good place to start. I know others are looking at Midi
> also so perhaps I will contact them and collaborate as the framework is
> likely to be very similar.

Ah, ok. If you aren't going to export the stream to an external file or
similar, you will probably not need the context id: The listener that
receives a given event will probably be associated to a context (just like
translator groups), and if the listener knows which context it's associated
to, it doesn't need to read that information from the event.

However, using a context id may still be useful for debugging, and it's
probably a good excercise to write a layer that adds context ids to all
events.

Erik