Re: GDP: rearrange manual

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GDP: rearrange manual
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 04:43:58 -0700

Rune Zedeler wrote:
Well, in its current state I find the "each subsection has its own page" version
of the manual unusable, and therefore always uses the one big page manual.
I suggest that we gives each section its own page containing section and all
subsections. Ofcourse each section should still contain a table of links, but
the links should stay on the same page (just as the one big page documentation
does now).
What makes the "each subsection has its own page" unusable?  Is it the
lack of a good index?  That's certainly something I plan on improving in
GDP.
Given that all subsections for the same section live on the same webpage I agree
with graham that further splitting would be a good idea.
One possibility is to have larger subsections, but use @subheading to
visually divide the page.  In the table of contents, we would see a
single "Dynamics" subsection, but the HTML page itself would be

Dynamics

Dynamics (absolute)

\ff \mp blah blah

Dynamics (crescendi)

\cr \! blah blah

Dynamics (positioning)

\override blah blah

This will satisfy my desire to have short, logically-bundles pieces of
information.  When a newbie is browsing the docs, he'll easily see the
"Dynamics (positioning)" section, so if he cares about that info he can
read it.