Re: MusicXML: Conversion of various types of spanners (octave, pedals, t

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: MusicXML: Conversion of various types of spanners (octave, pedals, trills)
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:15:32 +0200

Am Donnerstag, 13. September 2007 schrieb Han-Wen Nienhuys:
> > > if False:
> > >   ..block..
> > > is shorter
>
> if you want to comment out a section in python, using
>
>   if 0:
>      commented_out_statements()
>
> is shorter, and less of a mess wrt. comment signs.

Ah, okay, that's what you mean.
To be honest, I prefer the commented out version, because the patch when you
uncomment it again shows everything that is enabled. If you just remove the
if 0: line, you don't really see what code exactly has been enabled (if the
code is longer than the diff).

> > Ottava bracket elements have three different types: up, down and stop.
> > A similar problem happens with hairpin crescendos, where the possible
> > types are crescendo / diminuendo / stop. (Yes, both use inconsistent
> > values currently, I know)
> > What's the preferred way to treat these in lilypond?
>
> Like they are treated inside lilypond itself. Eg. for hairpins, there
> are 2 direction properties:
>
>  span-dir (start/stop)
>  grow-dir (cresc/descresc)

Okay, will add this to the spanners.

> > > why is line_type encoded as an int? It's clearer if you just use a
> > > string ('wavy', 'dotted', etc.)
> >
> > I used an int since span_direction was also using an int...
>
> please change this. Line type does not have a natural assignment of
> integers.

Okay, will change that, too (I found using ints quite confusing here,
anyway...).

Cheers,
Reinhold