Re: Doc addition to 8.1.2 "Text and line spanners" ... concerning \endSp

From: Maximilian Albert
Subject: Re: Doc addition to 8.1.2 "Text and line spanners" ... concerning \endSpanners
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 01:17:00 +0200

Trevor Bača wrote:

So that's a brief explanation of the function. Could you please insert
the following at the very bottom of 8.1.2 "Text and line spanners",
immediately before the "see also"?

%%% BEGIN DOC ADDITION %%%

The music function \endSpanners terminates spanners and hairpins after
exactly one note.

  \new Staff {
    \endSpanners
    c'2 \startTextSpan c'2
    c'2 \< c'2
  }

When using \endSpanners it is not necessary to close \startTextSpan
with \stopTextSpan, nor is it necessary to close hairpins with \!.

%%% END DOC ADDITION %%%

One thing I realize now writing this update is that I don't know if
there is a way to turn \endSpanners *off* at some point in input and
return to specifying spanner (and hairpin) endpoints manually.

Compiling your example (with version 2.11.34) results in the warning "unterminated (de)crescendo", and the hairpin is not present in the pdf output. After inserting \endSpanners *twice*, however, like so:

%%% BEGIN CODE %%%

   \new Staff {
     \endSpanners
     c'2 \startTextSpan c'2
     \endSpanners
     c'2 \< c'2
   }

%%% END CODE %%%

... the warning disappears and the hairpin is visible in the way you described. Which leads me to think that \endSpanners only applies to the spanner immediately following the command (similar to a "\once"). It's just a guess, though, without having looked at the code.

Best,
Max (who should finally learn not to read emails while trying to get his work done :))