Re: GPD: official shortest note in lilypond

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: GPD: official shortest note in lilypond
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 19:26:54 -0300

2007/11/6, Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden>:
> Am Dienstag, 6. November 2007 schrieb Han-Wen Nienhuys:
> > AFAIK there is no limitation to the number of flags you can have on
> > beamed notes,
> > For unbeamed notes, we have to draw the line somewhere,
>
> Why are beamed and unbeamed notes treated differently? Both take up about the
> same vertical space, and the horizontal space (of the note itself) does not
> really depend on the duration, anyway.
> Notes with n flags can always be composed by stacking more single flags on top
> of each other, there does not necessarily have to be a glyph in the font for
> this, right?

1. Have a close look at the glyph for the 64th flag. It's not as
simple as stacking flags. What you add should be smaller the close you
get to the stem end.

2. It's actually rather annoying to have to stack bits together to
create a glyph. Adding a few more glyphs in metafont is probably
easier.

> I simply don't see any compelling technical reason to not allow durations
> shorter than 64th (except for notation style, but then lilypond should
> disallow beamed notes, too).

there is none. It's a font issue.