Re: Does anybody use x11-color ?

From: till
Subject: Re: Does anybody use x11-color ?
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 22:43:50 -0800 (PST)

Graham Percival-2 wrote:

> Could we remove all discussion about x11-color from the docs?  We
> currently have three different methods of setting the color:
>
> #'color
> #(x11-color ...)
> #(rgb-color r g b)
>
> My impression is that people who just want basic colors will use
> #'color, while anybody who wants more control would go straight to
> #(rgb-color ...).  The X11 colors are annoying to use, since you need to
> look up the names in the appendix, then run some examples to decide
> whether you want
>       MediumTurquoise
>       MediumAquamarine
>       SeaGreen
>       LawnGreen
>
> I'd like to mark this as a deprecated feature.

It's probably true, I also used only #'color sometimes. But just when
mentioning those fascinating descriptive names: would it be useful to
include a colour sample next to the colour name to help the user chose the
right colour? This could just be included from within texinfo (could it?) if
there is something like @colorbox available. I just deduced from Latex...

Greetings
Till