Re: \times vs. \tuplet

From: Paco Vila
Subject: Re: \times vs. \tuplet
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 02:01:51 +0100

El Sat, 08 de Dec de 2007, a las 06:52:18PM +0100, John Mandereau dijo:

> I second this; there has been a huge thread on lilypond-user, and
> besides all different wishes that can hardly be satisified, I seem to
> remember there was some general consensus about changing "\times" to
> "\tuplet".

Just a comment:

if "times" can be read as "multiplied by" this is no longer true with tuplet.

With a triplet, fon instance, the more commonly point of view is to see it as
"three in the space of two", but the times syntax changes this to be
2/3. No problem if you know that it is times 2/3, i.e. visible durations
multiplied by 2/3 give real durations. With the tuplet syntax it would be
more logical to say  \tuplet 3/2 {}

--
Francisco Vila Doncel. Badajoz (Spain)
http://www.paconet.org