Re: Translation glossary

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Translation glossary
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:28:38 +0100

Le samedi 15 décembre 2007 à 12:17 +0200, Till Rettig a écrit :

> John Mandereau schrieb
> Well, you are probably right, the team is so small at the moment that
> direct discussion and the TRANSLATION text file
> are sufficient. I don't know though about this "working on the docs in
> their language" -- since all
> translators speak sufficiently english to understand what they
> translate, they could as well produce
> some english phrases and send them to Graham who will correct them to
> standard English. Of course
>  they can then also be applied at the same time to the translation of
> the translator's language.

Yes, that's what I meant.

> Only last week I discovered that the glossary still evolves (of course
> it does, I checked the log, but I just wasn't aware
> of that), so I was thinking that couldn't we also make "localized"
> versions of that file. I don't mean to translate the english
> explanations (or then, why not?), but just to make it trackable with
> check-translation. So we would each have the glossary.tely in
> the localized language directory, with the git commit number filled in
> so check-translation will show changes to the original file.

Duplicating the glossary into languages directories would be complicated
and not clean, so let's reley on FIXME comments added.

Speaking of, I'm not fluent enough in vocals vocabulary nor in English
to add good definitions for some vocal terms in the glossary, so I leave
this stuff up to somebody else; I hope there is somebody on this list
that can do it...

> And then while having a look at this document, there is quite clearly
> pointed out who translated what language. And I thought what if
> we put this note (subauthor?) into the translated docs as well? First,
> it make clear that it is a "derived work" and based on the english
> version, second, it gives some personalized note (which I am mostly
> missing eg. from wikibooks, and in my opinion, it makes them less
> reliable if there is nobody to take responsibility).

Of course.  I have planned to add a translation status page that would
report in tables which sections are translated, who
translated/polished/updated them and how up-to-date they are.  However,
it's better not to make current translations status publicly available,
until some sections (at least tutorial, pitches, rhythms and a part of
learning manual) are completely revised in Englsih and translated.

Cheers,
John