Re: Request for comments: prettify snippets page

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Request for comments: prettify snippets page
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 10:51:30 +0100

Le mercredi 26 décembre 2007 à 07:06 -0800, Graham Percival a écrit :
> On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 15:00:59 +0100
> John Mandereau <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I'd like to deeply change doc snippets presentation: as tags were
> > recently added to LSR, we should put all snippets in the same
> > directory, resulting in a single PDF file and a single HTML page for
> > all snippets.

> I'm honestly not certain that this tradeoff is worth it -- even
> disregarding the amount of work involved.  What problem(s) is this
> supposed to solve?

There are some small problems with having subdirectories in input/lsr,
as Han-Wen already pointed out, for example duplicate files (e.g.
volta-multi-staff.ly), longer build time caused by splitted Texinfo and
PDF builds.  These details are only technical, but there are more
important ones.  For example, t'd be a good thing to build a single
Texinfo document (with .itelys) for all snippets, so we could easily get
a single PDF and a single with all snippets sorted by categories (this
is a user request IIRC), and a set of HTML pages with one category (or
tag) per page, with easy navigation (we have this, but with no easy
navigation); to achieve this, we should not use subdirectories.

I'm ready to work on makefiles, makelsr.py and lys-to-tely.py to achieve
this.  I think it's much more reasonable that my previous proposal, what
do you think?

Best,
John