Re: Update template for ancient music transcription

From: Till Rettig
Subject: Re: Update template for ancient music transcription
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 18:37:32 +0200

Stefan Slapeta schrieb:
Juergen Reuter wrote:

Instead, my idea of the ultimate way of incipit creation is to have an \incipit scheme function that automatically creates an incipit for a given music expression.
[...]

I think this would be quite complicated as you have a lot more of configuration than just setting a key signature etc. The incipit shall give an idea of how original sources look like, and it certainly must have the complete range of functionality available from printing ancient music.

[...]

AFAICS, this is not in any way related to ancient time signatures in lilypond as this problem is the same with modern ones (i.e. for 2/4 it's the same).
However, maybe I should indeed use the \times workaround.
I have never really seen alla breve for 2/4 in modern notation -- to me the common use is really just 2/2 instead of 4/4. Some editions of ancient music from the beginning of the 20th century faced this by reducing the durations of the old notes in a way to get their modern common durations -- which is not so much obeyed now anymore. Instead, while you will need alla breve for 4/2 in 16th century music, you might want it for 4/1 (two breves) in 15th century music. I think it is not anyhow a bad way to use a "workaround" for this, since everything actually _is_ about time scaling. In my option it doesn't matter if there is a "proper" funktion that does the same, but in the background it just scales notes/bars. The only question would be: is it better to scale the bar or the note duration?

can I achieve somehow that the ambitus is printed at a certain place? (i.e. after the incipit!)

No, this is currently not possible, since the ambitus is determined once per score. Maybe Han-Wen is willing to implement kind of a "\resetAmbitus" feature, if someones sponsors it.

It doesn't make much sense to print the ambitus as part of the incipit, using ancient clefs etc., don't you think?
I think in general the incipit isn't really part of the score. That is the reason why starting braces, ambitus and so on are printed only after the incipit. I recall in most editions there is actually even some space between the incipit systems and the actual system. That's way any way of seperating the incipit from the score appears even more to me to be the right solution for that. I don't know what you can apply in front of the actual score: so far there is only the instrument name, I think. But if this could be made more general to include also any other engraving it might be a hook to apply the incipit to. I am not so sure though, how this incipit function should look like: there are more than one notation style, and it would be desireble to make all of them accessible. If they are at some point complete, this could be achieved with a \set before the incipit command. In any case: if the incipit is not part of the score anymore there are no problems with the score anymore: settings can be defaults, because they don't have to be changed for the incipit. Also the bar numbering will work out of the box.

Till

Stefan