Re: building sections of the docs

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: building sections of the docs
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 21:11:25 -0700

Unfortunately it's easy to accidentally send these from an unsubscribed address.

Graham Percival wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 17:14:24 -0700
Paul Scott <address@hidden> wrote:

I'm following instructions at:

http://web.uvic.ca/~gperciva/advanced-tech.txt

I'm trying to build to see the relationship between the source
(.itely) and the actual doc.  I'm very visual.  I don't necessarily
need WYSIWYG but I like seeing the output at some point.  I haven't
made any changes for the above reason.  Is a commit necessary to be
able to build?

No, you don't need commit ability.

Building the docs isn't covered on the uvic pages; instead, please
see Application Usage, section 1.2.4 Building the docs without
compiling LilyPond.  (even if you _do_ compile lilypond yourself,
this page is still useful)
Whatever reference I found so far said Program Usage 1.2.4 and I
couldn't find it.  (Sometimes I'm very literal)  Now I see

Application Usage and have found 1.2.4.  :)

What does the following mean?

You may build the manual ( Documentation/user/ ) without building all
the input/* stuff.

I have now followed the previous steps on that page and don't understand this one.

It gives the same failure.  I see that there is a config.make.in but
not a config.make in the top directory.

Did you run ./autogen.sh ?  Do that, and ignore any errors.  Then
copy GNUmakefile.in to GNUmakefile -- again, see AU 1.2.4.
Now I have.  See above.
For the record, what OS are you using?
debian sid.

Thanks,