Re: \times -> \tuplet

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: \times -> \tuplet
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 23:57:55 +0100

Graham Percival skrev:
OTOH, those people are probably more technically inclined than
those who will move to the new \tuplet command, so they can write
their own python script to change all the new \tuplet back into
\times.  We could even add that script to LSR...

IMO the nice way to do this would be to add a "conservative"-option to convert-ly. When conservative is on, convert-ly tries to stay as close as possible to the old syntax (i.e. keeping "times"), when conservative is off, it tries to use as many of the new constructs as it can (ie. translating times->tuplet). Of course we "could" (sigh) expand the use of the conservative option to lots of other constructs. This would take a lot of time, but adding the skeleton, i.e. reading the option from the command line and making it accessible from the convert-ly-rules could afaics be quickly done by a python-hacker.

I still vote against the times->tuplet thing, but if we decide to do it nevertheless then this is imo the best way.

-Rune