Re: [patch] first-clef property

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Re: [patch] first-clef property
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 20:31:05 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008, Nicolas Sceaux wrote:

Anyway, wouldn't it be nicer to have some kind of scheme macro that expands to code that prints an incipit? Your "first clef" could then be just part of the incipit that the macro creates. And maybe the clef's name either could passed as argument to the scheme macro. Or, alternatively, you set an, say, "original-clef" property that the macro recognizes and accordingly acts upon.

As I understand it, incipits are hackingly achieved using the
instrument name.

This is just one possible approach. Template A.5.1 demonstrates a different approach. Apparently, both approaches have limitations/flaws.

I want instrument names to be defined separately
from incipit (they are not the same thing, there is no serious
reason to bind them, beside purely technical ones):

\new Staff <<
\global
\set Staff . instrumentName = \markup { The instrument name }
\clef "xyz" %% automagically set the incipit clef
{ ... the notes ... }

How could you make the mix of the two?

Ok, I think I understand the problem.

Now, seeing the incipt examples, I realize that my patch is a hack
too, for it would be nice to have also the time and key signatures,
not only the ancient clef.

Maybe creating an incipit engraver, reading new context properties,
like incipitKeySignature, incipitTimeSignature, etc, and creating a
grob of the same nature as the instrument name.

Yes, this idea definitely sounds very reasonable! Still, implementing such an engraver may turn out challenging...

Greetings,
Juergen

nicolas