Re: Musicxml2ly and convert-ly localization

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Musicxml2ly and convert-ly localization
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 19:14:11 +0100

Am Sonntag, 10. Februar 2008 schrieb John Mandereau:
> Le vendredi 08 février 2008 à 17:30 +0100, Reinhold Kainhofer a écrit :
> > Am Montag, 4. Februar 2008 schrieb John Mandereau:
> > > Reinhold, are Musixml2ly messages stable enough so they can be marked
> > > for translation?
> >
> > I don't think they'll rapidly change.
> > However, I have never really bothered about i18n-able messages, so some
> > error/warning messages might currently not really suited for
> > translation... Also, some messages are not really userfriendly (i.e. hard
> > to understand...).
> If I understand correctly, such messages seem to happen in weird cases,
> and users who simply use MusicXML as a software-generated exchange
> format and don't know about the format spec in detail probably won't
> have a clue about the problem, whatever meaningful the error message is.

Yes, that might be true...

> > So, in short, I don't think that most of the messages will change in the
> > near future, but feel free to improve the messages to make them more
> > targeted at end users (rather than simply describing a technical
> > problem).
> I tried to "improve" some messages, but I'm not sure at all I succeeded;
> the problem is, I don't know MusicXML at all, so I'm not aware of
> possible problems.  Feel free to revert messages strings I changed :-)

No, these are fine. I also found some more strings in python/ and
python/, which need to be translated...

How about the version string in the option_parser function? Is this
automatically translated, should it stay untranslated (due to the license),
or should we add the _?

> > Another thing: The musicxml2ly
> > (
> >ing-musicxml2ly.html#Invoking-musicxml2ly) web page describes only a
> > subset of options available with musicxml2ly.
> If nobody else updates this, I'll do it when you have removed --relative
> and added --absolute ;-) (I'm all for this change too).

Okay, I added --absolute and made --relative the default (but did not remove
it, so existing scripts don't break).

- --
email: address@hidden,
 * Financial and Actuarial Mathematics, TU Wien,
 * K Desktop Environment,, KOrganizer maintainer
 * Chorvereinigung "Jung-Wien",
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)