Re: stop breaking the docs

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: stop breaking the docs
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 15:54:08 +0100

Le mardi 26 février 2008 à 10:08 -0300, Han-Wen Nienhuys a écrit :
> 2008/2/26, Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
>
> >  Keeping everything on the main branch also simplifies things
> >  for the doc helpers; most of us know nothing about git and
> >  have no desire to mess around with branches.
>
> Well, yes - but living on the main branch also implies that you will
> have to deal with breakage more often, simply because things change
> more often.

Graham, I agree with Han-Wen; lilypond/translation branch was created to
avoid dealing with compilation failures not caused by translated docs.
A dedicated branch would be the best option for GDP, with regular
merging from and into master; it's not harder than using push, pull,
checkout and merge Git commands.

On the other hand, I guess organizing GDP is a ton of work, and I
understand building breakage slightly slows down GDP and you don't want
to deal with several branches.  As I've not finished hacking makefiles
and docs building, my future change will probably cause breakage again,
so I'm creating a new branch dev/jmandereau for hacking, which I'll
merge into master only after I've tested plain compilation (make && make
web), and if needed docs building with EXTERNAL_BINARY.

If you'd like to know a precise plan for docs and makefiles hacking, I'd
like to
- improve the silly @lsr and @lsrdir macros with duplicate arguments I
proposed a while ago (see new thread on -devel)
- improve translated docs building further,
- finish writing translation status script,
- compile input/lsr snippets in Info format with images,
- internationalize snippets descriptions, in priority for inclusion in
manuals, using Gettext and hacking makefiles and lilypond-book.

I'll do all items on my branch first, except maybe the first one.

Cheers,
John