Re: Julie: GUILE for Java

From: Bertalan Fodor
Subject: Re: Julie: GUILE for Java
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 07:56:27 +0100

Han-Wen Nienhuys írta:
2008/3/4, Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool) <address@hidden>:

 In the last 3 weeks I created the base for an R5RS Scheme interpreter
 written in Java, aimed at GUILE compatibility. It is quite basic yet,
 but I'm not very far from the point where I can start interpreting
 LilyPond input files as they are. Actually module support is what I have
 to implement until that.

Cool!  Just as curiosity, why didn't you consider the alternate
Java-schemes, like jscheme, kawa, sisc, etc?

There are some reasons.
- I found their architecture to be too complicated. I wanted a simple, clean one.
- Their code base seem to be written in not Java style.
- If I need some ideas I can get from them.
- They have their own extensions which may collide with the guile stuff.
- My motivation was stronger this way.
Still, writing my own version may be a wrong idea. However, for extending it with guile constructs I still feel it easier, because of their complexity, legacy extensions I'd be afraid of making a change in the code would create unexplicable behaviour.

It depends on how far you want to go. It is easy to extract signatures
(names & number of arguments) automatically.

That's a good idea. That way I can generate stubs.
Surely you don't want to reimplement all of LilyPond in Java?

No I don't. My goals are:
- have bar checks work really as bar checks (using Duration objects etc.)
- have autocompletion in Scheme
- perhaps some visual display of music written - I don't know how feasible is this without implementing all of LilyPond in Java

Bert