Re: system-count=1 -> ragged-right=##t

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: system-count=1 -> ragged-right=##t
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 10:41:12 +1100

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:
Here's an interesting idea that my brother mentioned while I was
complaining about a related problem in the docs:
- if system-count is 1, enable ragged-right by default.
(If system-count is > 1, leave it disabled)

Obviously if the user specifies ragged-right manually, take that
value instead of looking at the number of systems in the piece.

This would simply the docs (particularly LSR stuff), bug reports,
and the like.  On initial review, I can't see any downside[1].  Joe,
would this be easy to add?

How easy this is to add depends on exactly how the behaviour is specified (basically because ragged-right can affect the number of systems). I'd suggest the following, which would probably be the easiest: first, we do the horizontal and vertical spacing normally. Then, if there is only one system and ragged-right is undefined (ie. the user hasn't set it) and that system is stretched, then we space it as though ragged-right were true. The implementation (or at least, its commit) might have to wait a while until I have an internet connection fr my laptop.

It might be nice to do a similar thing for ragged-bottom (or ragged-bottom-last) as well.

Joe