Re: Using texi2html for the documentation

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Using texi2html for the documentation
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 15:18:53 +0100

Le samedi 15 mars 2008 à 16:23 -0700, Graham Percival a écrit :
> Lists are destroyed.  Look at:
> http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/texi2html-out-traditional/Writing-pitches.html#Relative-octave-entry
>
> The third "paragraph" (the indented bit) should have a number of
> bullet points.  Well, not /necessarly/ bullet points -- I'll leave
> this up to you -- but it should be clear that it's a list of
> points.

It's clear in the HTML code, it's only a problem of setting the <ul>
class or style attribute properly to display bullets or something else.

> Some people might wonder about the "(music-glossary)double sharp"
> links, but I actually prefer them this way -- it makes it clear
> where it's going.  One tiny nitpick: could we have a space between
> the ) and the next character?
> - if this is difficult, forget about it; there's much more
>   important things to fuss about.

After quickly looking at texi2html docs, it should be possible to get
any desired output by redefining the output function, e.g.
"Music Glossary, double sharp", which is much prettier than
"(music-glossary)double sharp".  If we keep "See also" sections as they
are, i.e. with references grouped by external manual name, we should
even have two different external ref commands for HTML ouptut, one with
the name of the manual, and one without it.

> I'm not certain we only want two levels... the ideal would be if
> users could click to expand/contract each tree.  Perhaps two
> levels would be good by default, but I'd like it if people could
> expand them to see three or four levels.

That's ceratinly doable, but AFAIK this involves a bit of Javascript.
This would be also very cool if the node currently displayed was
highlighted in the TOC.

I'm sorry I can't help with switching to texi2html right now, I'll only
have little time for this in April.

Cheers,
John