lilypond-devel

Re: LM 4 Tweaks vs. NR 6 Changing defaults

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: LM 4 Tweaks vs. NR 6 Changing defaults
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 05:11:26 -0700

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:36:42 -0000
"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

> No, the material in LM 4 Tweaks should not be duplicated
> or moved to the NR as it is.

> , together with sections explaining
> how to use the important properties contained in the common
> interfaces, like 'break-visibility, 'direction, 'color,
> 'X-extent, 'X-offset, 'extra..., 'minimum ..., 'padding,
> etc, etc.

This is a contradiction.  (well, not if you interpret "duplicated"
in a strict sense)

My concern is this: what happens when the #'direction changes?
(suppose it no longer accepts floats and only accepts #DOWN and
the like... or slightly more possible, suppose it now requires a
list with two elements, like #'extra-offset)

If we include #'direction in the NR as well as the LM, then both
doc sections would need to be updated.  This is a problem for
maintabilty of the docs.

I'm not saying this is a /huge/ problem -- for the properties you
mentioned, I doubt they'll change much in the next few years.  And
perhaps we'll have enough doc people in the future that we can
afford the duplicate work in changing both sections.

To be honest, in this case I'm leaning towards this duplication.
But I'm not happy about it, since I detest leaving messes behind
for my successor(s).  :|

Cheers,