Re: new symbols needed for musicxml2ly

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: new symbols needed for musicxml2ly
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 15:22:47 +0200

Am Samstag, 5. April 2008 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
> you've at least created one symbol (the `eyeglasses') for MusicXML
> support -- do you think we shall add this to the lilypond?

It depends. How much does it increase memory use and/or file size? In general,
having an eyeglasses and a Bartok pizzicato symbol might be useful (we've had
several questions about the Bartok pizz, so that is really used in scores).

Both symbols should be fairly easy to implement in metafont:
-) The bartok pizz is just a circle with a vertical line (length is twice the
radius) from the center upwards
-) The eyeglasses are just two circles, one half-circle (the bridge, shifted a
bit upwards), and a line plus a Bezier spline for each of the temples.

> The main
> reason to do so is having native glyph hinting which doesn't apply to
> PS snippets.  Are there other glyphs besides the Bartók pizzicato
> which should be added?

Not that I'm aware of. At least the MusicXML spec does not use any other tags
which might use new markup symbols.
Thinking of it: Maybe the harp pedals (see attached screenshot from finale)
might use glyphs, though. I've thought a little about implementing them and
it would be much easier if I chould simply use a string that is automatically
displayed as a harp pedal (e.g. \harppedal #"^v^|^v-v"). On the other hand,
one can also implement that similar to the fret diagrams.

Cheers,
Reinhold