Re: GDP: translations and code comments

From: Till Rettig
Subject: Re: GDP: translations and code comments
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 20:48:11 +0300

Francisco Vila schrieb:
2008/4/19, Graham Percival <address@hidden>
> Variable names: already translated in @examples, helps clarifying. It
 > would be nice to have them translated in verbatim- and non-verbatim-
 > snippets. Again, in verbatim mode the translated version could show
 > and the original could be kept so it doesn't need recompilation.

... really?  A lilypond user needs to know *some* English anyway.
 \relative, \transpose, \partcombine... if somebody has
 trouble with
  musicA = {...}
  musicB = {...}
 then how on earth will they understand
  \once \override Voice.Stem #'padding = #3
 ?

That's the problem -- if somebody doesn't speak English we can only help him by translating everything around the commands to she would understand that these commands mean that and that and can be used in that and that way. I had my time to figure out what is "grob", padding and the like. :-)
 ... well, it's your time.  If you think it's worthwhile, go ahead.

I said 'helps clarifying' and they do. Software is software;
programming languages are programming languages (keywords are
keywords); but for manuals, tutorials, documentation in general, there
are several human languages other than English. My aim is to ease all
that is possible the utilisation to  non-English users, is that
simple.

My bit from the German side (my personal opinion though :-)): I think also it is impossible to translate everything that is visible -- on the other hand I support the approach of having comments in the program text. It is directly on place where the according change or tweak is done and makes it much easier to understand these snippets. I think the compile time is not that big issue anymore if the docs can build without a make web-clean first -- then all translated snippets will have to be compiled only once (or after a change).

BTW I have used (long ago) Spanish versions of MS Excel with
translated function names and these spreadsheet documents were not
compatible with anyone else. This is NOT what I want.

Seems to work now, btw, but not really reliably -- had also some headache trying to translate German terms into Finnish :-)

Till