Re: GDP: translations and code comments

From: till Rettig
Subject: Re: GDP: translations and code comments
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:22:55 +0200

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 22:52:37 -0700
> Von: Graham Percival <address@hidden>
> An: Till Rettig <address@hidden>
> CC: John Mandereau <address@hidden>, lily-devel <address@hidden>
> Betreff: Re: GDP: translations and code comments

> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:20:14 +0300
> Till Rettig <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I'm quite unclear anyway about the translation status, what should be
> > done next? Graham doesn't yet want new sections to be translated,
> > should we already start migrating translation branch to the new build
> > scripts (was it texi2html)?
>
> I just don't want items still in flux to be translated.  We're
> still dealing with questions like "should we include periods at
> the ends of lists" and "what material belongs in NR 1, and what
> belongs in NR 3".  If people start translating NR 1 now, they
> might need to completely redo their work once we've rewritten
> those sections as part of GDP.  I'm trying to save you guys effort
> in the long run!
Yes, I know this and appreciate it. I am not in a hurry with the translation,
but just wanted to get things clear. On the other hand as it turned out some
like Francensco might rely on the translations because they use it heavily, so
for them the saving means they cannot do their job.

> Instead, I want to get NR 1 finished, so that we *know* that the
> policies are completely and good quality.  I honestly think that
> the best thing you could do for the translations is to finish
> Staff, so that we can get public comments on it, discover other
> missing/bad policies, and then finally have a good set of docs to
> begin translating.
I have this on my first priority list :-) It just needs more than half an hour
to do something sensible on that (Translating is easier in that you don't have
to think the structure of the text as well since it is given already).