Re: Broken hairpinToBarline context property?

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: Broken hairpinToBarline context property?
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 00:22:29 +0100

Hi Patrick,

2008/4/27 Patrick McCarty <address@hidden>:
> Should the hairpinToBarline context property be set to true by
>  default?  In ly/engraver-init.ly, I see that it's set to true, but in
>  the default output, this property is set to false.  Compare this
>  snippet,
>
>  \relative c'' {
>   e4\< e2. e1\!
>   \set hairpinToBarline = ##f
>   e4\< e2. e1\!
>  }
>
>  with this snippet:
>
>  \relative c'' {
>   e4\< e2. e1\!
>   \set hairpinToBarline = ##t
>   e4\< e2. e1\!
>  }

The setting in engraver-init.ly doesn't work because it was changed in
a patch from

hairpinToBarline = ##t

\override Voice.hairpinToBarline = ##t

which obviously won't work since it's a context property, not a grob property.

Since there's a 'to-barline property now, I wonder whether
hairpinToBarline is deprecated; it's not documented in the internals
reference under Dynamic_engraver, and there's a bit of code in
dynamic-spanner.cc which is annotated 'backwards compatibility with
hairpinToBarline'. Perhaps 'to-barline should be set by default
instead in define-grobs.scm.

Regards,
Neil