Re: file locations or links in snippets

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: file locations or links in snippets
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 09:16:43 +0100

John Mandereau wrote Saturday, May 10, 2008 8:50 AM
On 2008/05/09, Graham Percival wrote:
input/new/makam.ly  now contains:
+microtonal alterations.  Consult the initialization file
address@hidden (in @code{/usr/share/lilypond/current/ly})
+for details of pitch names and alterations.

This is true for some linux installations (although not mine; I
keep all non-debian-packaged software in my user account), but
certainly not true of OSX or windows installations.

I think this is actually true for all GUB installations, whatever the
OS, and this is not true for non-GUB installation (Debian and RPM
packages, or self-compiled installations, for example, which use
share/lilypond/x.y.z).

A few snippet simply include text like "Consult the initialization
file @code{makam-init.ly) (see the `Learning Manual X.Y.Z
Initialization Files' for the location of this file) for details
of pitch names and alterantions)".  I'd recommend doing that here
as well.

You're right, so we could easily mention the case of
share/lilypond/x.y.z in 'Initialization Files'.

Section 4.6.3 in the LM called "Other sources of information" already
contains pointers to these files for Linux, MacOS X and Windows, but
it doesn't mention non-GUB installations.  Should I add this info to
that section?  If so, what exactly does the x.y.z mean?

Cheers,
John

Trevor