Re: GDP: 2.3.2.1 Harp

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GDP: 2.3.2.1 Harp
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 14:44:46 -0700

On Sun, 11 May 2008 22:32:37 +0100
"Neil Puttock" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I've been looking through section 2, and noticed that the section on
> harps mentions Sacred Harp music. Now I can't claim much knowledge of
> old American choral traditions, but I'm pretty sure that it has
> nothing to do with playing the harp.

I'm pretty certain that you're right.  I've commented it out;
if/when somebody takes this section, they can decide whether to
definitely delete it or not.

> Since there's no specific support for harps in LilyPond, do we need a
> section dedicated to it?

IMO, yes.  (although in this specific case, it might be better to
direct people to the keyboard section)

We don't have any *specific* support for bowed strings -- slurs,
\upbow, \harmonic are all covered in NR 1.  But there was
overwhelming desire for a central collection of links to docs that
related to specific instrument groups.  That's the whole idea of
the "REferences for XXX" -- there's no new material in there; it's
just links to the appropriate places in NR 1.