Re: Bugtracker cleanup/update

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Bugtracker cleanup/update
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 02:14:14 -0700

On Sat, 31 May 2008 10:05:11 +0100
"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Really, the whole point of GDP is to reduce the burden of doc
> > maintenance.  Barring writing new docs for new features (which I
> > can't predict), I expect that maintaing the .itely files will be
> > about 2 hours per month
> > (not counting reading email),
>
> This actually takes up most of my available time
> at the moment.

Don't I know it.  :(

>  I've seriously thought of unsubscribing
> from -user, but then I'd quickly lose touch, so it's
> not really an option.

Speaking from personal experience, I vigourously remind myself
that answering questions helps one person a lot, whereas working
on the docs helps a lot of people a moderate amount.  Basically,
unless you can answer something in 30 seconds, it's not worth
replying.  (if you take a long-term view)

We have a fair amount of skilled users on the list, so IMO it's
better to focus our very limited .itely-writing resources on the
docs.  Yes, it's not a friendly attitude to take, but I'd rather
be helpful instead of friendly.