Re: backslashes in escape rules

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: backslashes in escape rules
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 14:15:02 +0200

On 2008/07/0615:29 -0600, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
> On 7/5/08 2:11 PM, "John Mandereau" <address@hidden> wrote:
> > It's trivial to concatenate rules into a single function, and convert-ly
> > applies rules sequentially anyway, so this is not a strong argument
> > against merging; if necessary, we can make merged rules clearer with a
> > comment for each rule in a conv function with multiple rules.
>
> Doesn't each rule have a "version, change made" structure?  If we put lots
> of changes in a single rule, will the "change made" be too complex?

Not at all, as long as we separate rules in the single function for each
version with a blank line or even comments.

As you may have noticed, multiple rules for one version makes this
version number printed as many times when convert-ly updates a file,
which is a bit awkward.  If you look at previous rules, you'll see a
number of rules that make a bunch of syntax changes in the same
function, and this is neither more complicated or dangerous.  We
probably shouldn't make the effort of merging multiple rules for old
versions, but the bunch of different rules for 2.11.51 is way too much,
I just merged them.

I also added at the end of convertrules.py hints to write conversion
rules with localization, etc.  They may be freely fixed and extended as
appropriate.

Cheers,
John