Re: variable names

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: variable names
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 14:50:03 +0200

On 2008 à 12:42 +0200, Ivo Bouwmans wrote:
> Would it be possible at all to allow variable names ending in numbers?
>
> voice1 = { g a b c }
> voice2 = { e f g g }
> voice3 = { c c d e }
> \score {
>    <<
>      \new Voice = "descant" {
>        \voice1
> etc. ...
>
> This would make neat .ly files.

This has already been discussed several times; IIRC the problem is,
allowing numbers would increase parser coomplexity a lot, because we
already have sequences of letters followed by a number, e.g. note name
followed by a duration.

> (Somewhere I read that this type of "variables" should be called
> something different in LP, but I can't remember what, nor where I read
> that...)

They are sometimes called macros, but I don't like this name.  They
really are variables, even if you must use Scheme to modify their value.

Cheers,
John