Re: erroneous subheading

From: Jean-Charles Malahieude
Subject: Re: erroneous subheading
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 22:49:13 +0200

Le 13.07.2008 18:26, Trevor Daniels disait :

Hi Jean-Charles

I used "simulating" because this way of doing it is really rather a hack.
A bit like replacing a staccato note with a half-length note followed by
a half-length rest.  Both methods render the required music more or
less correctly in MIDI.

Doing it "for real" would be for LilyPond to interpret the fermata and the
staccato *as notated* and render them correctly in MIDI without having
to mess around like this.  *That* would be "performing a fermata",
but current versions of Lily can't do this :(

Trevor

Hi Graham!

May I object that the naming of the paragraph dealing about "simulating a fermata" in tweaks.itely (section further tweaking), is totally wrong, since the glyph is printed AND rendered in the MIDI output? It should rather be, in my opinion, something like "performing a fermata".

Cheers,
Jean-Charles

I then admit it as a simulation; I would nevertheless have added, to be clever about the outputs, that it was intended for the MIDI since it is really not obvious.

Cheers,
Jean-Charles