Re: settings for headwords

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: settings for headwords
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 16:43:29 -0700

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 23:18:06 +0100
"Neil Puttock" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2008/7/16 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> > Why did you modify the \paper{} and \layout{} settings for the
> > headwords?
>
> If you remember, I said I thought some of the headwords would look
> better without ragged-right = ##t; it only works if the recommended
> line-width (16 cm) is used.

Ok.

> > - the \layout settings are necessary to avoid text going into the
> >  margins; they were taken directly from LM x.y.z Avoiding tweaks
> >  with slower processing.
>
> The keyboard headword did have text in the margins, but that was only
> because it was ragged.

I'm not certain about that.  Is there any reason *not* to use the
\layout settings which avoid ugly output?  If text lines would fit
within the page anyway, then the settings only add half a second to
the compile time; if the output *would* look bad, then those
settings solve that problem.

> > - why remove the key signature and enable proportional notation in
> >  the rhythm example?  That might be appropriate if this were some
> >  20th century piece, but this is pure Beethoven.
>
> You mean the time signature? It's a personal thing, and I apologize
> for not running it past you first, but it seems silly to have a time
> signature present when the excerpt doesn't start at the beginning.

Hmm.  The same could be said about any of these exerpts.  I'd
rather keep the time signature in there.

> I didn't enable propotional notation; it's Trevor's tweak to improve
> the spacing.

Oops, sorry.

> > - I'd like all headwords to use the same settings.  If you think
> >  that 16cm is better than 17cm (maybe the pdf looks bad with
> >  17cm; I can't remember if I checked), then please change it for
> >  *all* headwords.
>
> 16cm is a prerequisite for pdf if ragged-right = ##f, otherwise some
> of the snippets run off the right hand side.

Thanks, I missed that problem.

Ok, could you update all the snippets to use the new \paper
settings?  And either reinstate the \layout commands to avoid text
in the margins, or give another reason why we shouldn't use them.