WANTED: Design for documentation

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: WANTED: Design for documentation
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:07:18 +0200

Dear all,
As Valentin has already mentioned a while ago in his Lilypond report #1
(http://valentin.villenave.info/The-LilyPond-Report-1), I've been working on
moving the Lilypond documentation to texi2html. The big advantage: This means
that we have now full control over how the documentation should look like.
The drawback: We now have full control, so we need some good screen design of
the documentation.
I've done some very basic design (lever let a coder do a design or you'll end
up with something ugly like this!):

http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/texi2html-out/Documentation/user/lilypond/index.html

(Please note that due to some CSS issues I'm working on, this does not yet
properly work in Internet Explorer...)
Our goal is to merge this new documentation format into the master branch in
the near future (before Lilypond 2.12!).

I'm sure there are lots of great graphics designers here on this list, so here
is your task: We need a good screen design for our documentation (not yet for
the rest of the homepage; this will come later)!

Task: Screen design for the Lilypond documentation
Format: Anything you like that I can read (html, images, photoshop, pdf, ...)
Requirements:
  -) Should look good / professional, but still encouraging to read the docs
  -) be intuitive and not intrusive (because the contents of the docs are
     still the most important part!)
  -) Must work without javascript, flash, etc. (Just HTML and CSS - I'll do
      the implementation)
  -) If the design is flexible enough to be later used for the design of
      the lilypond homepage, that would be an additional plus.
Time frame: ASAP, during the next few weeks
Reward: To see the Lilypond docs in your design, plus proably a few honorary
       mentions in the lilypond report and the homepage

Even if you don't provide a full design for the docs, any suggestion for
improvement of the current status of the docs is of course just as welcome.
Also, if you notice any problems (apart from the sidebar not working in IE and
some broken links to external manuals), please tell us (either here on the
list or via private mail)

I suppose I have enough time this week to respond to suggestions / questions /
other issues.

Cheers and let the work begin!
Reinhold

PS: The complete documentation index to the IR, NR, LM, snippets, etc. is at
    http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/texi2html-out/
Please notice that this page does not use the documentation style, but rather
the homepage style and thus won't be affected by any design changes to the
docs yet.