Intel Leopard and Smultron

From: Matthias Neeracher
Subject: Intel Leopard and Smultron
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 10:41:40 +0200

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this. I compiled lilypond according to the instructions here (thanks by the way!):

I used MacPorts for the dependencies. Running lilypond from the command line works great, and I have it loaded into my path without a problem. Running inside Terminal is fine (as is running from Aquamacs Emacs...).

However, when I try to run it within another program (e.g. Smultron) I get this error:

/opt/local/share/guile/1.8/srfi/srfi-1.scm:223:1: In procedure dynamic-link in _expression_ (load-extension "libguile-srfi-srfi-1-v-3" "scm_init_srfi_1"):
/opt/local/share/guile/1.8/srfi/srfi-1.scm:223:1: file: "libguile-srfi-srfi-1-v-3", message: "dlopen(libguile-srfi-srfi-1-v-3.so, 9): image not found"

Any ideas?

Mac applications by default run in a very limited environment (Both Terminal and Aquamacs go extra steps to provide a login shell experience to subprocesses). Your alternatives are:

1) Wrap the lilypond invocation in a login shell:

   /bin/sh -l lilypond whatever.ly

2) Add the necessary environment variables to your global environment.plist, as described in

<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/OSX_Technology_Overview/CommandLine/chapter_950_section_4.html>

Why would anything compiled on a mac be looking for an .so lib instead of a .dylib?

I wouldn't pay too much attention to that detail, it may just be an idiosyncrasy of the error message.

Matthias