Re: Feature request: more repeat signs

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: Feature request: more repeat signs
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 23:16:30 +0100

Hi Mark,

2008/9/2 Mark Polesky <address@hidden>:
> Developers - thank you for such an awesome program!
>
> Feature request: more repeat signs
>
> Two "double-sided" repeat-sign styles (commonly found in print)
> are missing from LilyPond, as far as I can tell:
>
> 1.) repeat dots, thin line, thick line, thin line, repeat dots

Hmm, I hadn't really thought about it before, but I'm sure this option
is more common than LilyPond's default double repeat sign. It's also
more pleasant to look at. :)

> 2.) repeat dots, thin line, thick line, repeat dots

A bit more esoteric, I'd say, but still easily implemented.

> Following LilyPond convention, I suppose the first would be
> coded as \bar = ":|.|:" and the second as \bar = ":|.:".

It's actually three new styles, since ":|.|:" will require "|.|" to
prevent the colons appearing between staves in a
StaffGroup/GrandStaff.

I've knocked up a patch which implements these styles, together with a
context property `doubleRepeatType' for setting the default style
using \repeat volta.  At a line break, both styles will revert to ":|"
(before) and "|:" (after).

If the patch gets the OK, you'll be able to use these repeat signs in
the next release.

Regards,
Neil