Re: Lilypond code/feature freeze for 2.12

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Lilypond code/feature freeze for 2.12
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 10:56:47 +0200

2008/9/21 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:

> Waiting for Valentin to fill in info about Rune.

Yes, I haven't forgotten, though I really don't know what to say.
I'd propose something very neutral based on what you gave me, such as:

We are proud to announce the release of GNU/LilyPond 2.12 "Rune".
Our joy is tinged with sadness, as long-time LilyPond contributor
and friend Rune Zedeler passed away on the 2nd of July, 2008.
This release is dedicated to him.

Rune was a computer programmer, a musician and a valued
contributor to LilyPond.   He had been enthusiastically involved
in the project for the past six years, and he will be missed among
our community.

As for the quick changelog, the new spacing algorithm is certainly the
most impressive new feature, but couldn't we
- mention a few other things,
- or at least bring up a number such as "this release brings 500 new features"
- and possibly mention the fact that we have changed (simplified) the
syntax quite a bit?

Having a paragraph about new translations would be good, but I am in
no place to write it. John, you've tracked this better than me, could
you write one or two lines about the new website/docs/program
translations?

Valentin