Re: Release text (was Re: Lilypond code/feature freeze for 2.12)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Release text (was Re: Lilypond code/feature freeze for 2.12)
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 16:54:38 -0700

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 17:07:16 -0600
"Carl D. Sorensen" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 9/22/08 4:39 PM, "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Here's a version with fret diagrams, Reinhold's
> > suggestion and a few other tweaks.  Is this
> > better?
> >
> I like it

I don't.  Yes, fret diagrams are very important to guitar players.
But dodecaphonic accidentals are very important to twelve-tone
composers.  Harp pedals are very important to harpists.  Arbitrary
microtonal accidentals are very important to Turkish musicians, as
well as a vast number of people writing academic compositions.

At least a third of the items in the NEWS are "very important" to
one particular group of musicians; I really think that we should
only list items that are "very important" to *everybody* in the
release notes.

I really don't want to put down the amazing work you did on the
transposabl FretBoards... but actually, if I were to pick one
thing from that previous list, I'd go with the arbitrary
microtonal accidentals.  That opens up the use of lilypond to a
huge number of extra people; guitarists could still get stuff done
with 'pond before the new FretBoard stuff.