Re: Three questions for ancient.itely

From: Eyolf Østrem
Subject: Re: Three questions for ancient.itely
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 16:53:21 +0200

On 27.09.2008 (02:16), Juergen Reuter wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Eyolf_=D8strem_ wrote:
>
> Originally, I borrowed the term "Episem" from the OpusTeX implementation of
> Gregorian Chant.  Just a couple of minutes ago, I did a small search on
> Google and have to agree that the form "Episema" is obviously much more used
> than "Episem", especially in non-German languages.

OK. It has been changed in the doc text. Since the word doesn't appear in
that form as a command in any case, I suppose it's not such a big deal to
change the command name (but should there, in the future, come an episema
command that can  be applied to single notes, it should definitely be named
"episema" (I thought for a moment that a standard articulation ^- would
work, but although it does draw a line, it looks too ugly to even be
mentioned as an option...)

> As you are working on the docs, there is another thing that comes into my
> mind:  Currently, \augmentum is introduced in Sect. 2.8.3.6 (Gregorian
> square neumes ligatures).  This was motivated from an implementation
> point of view, which is special for \augmentum within ligatures. However,
> from a user's perspective, I think \augmentum should be introduced in
> Sect. 2.8.3.1 (Ancient articulations), showing simply an augmented
> punctum note.

Agreed. In fact, the whole chapter has been rewritten/reorganized with the
user perspective in mind.

> And yet another thing: The "Hufnagel" style of Gregorian Chant is in
> English language obviously better known as "Gothic" style.  However, now
> that lily 2.12 is already in beta release stage, I would not recommend
> performing such a big rename at present.

No, besides, those who would want to use it, would know the German name,
which is also widely used in English. It is also a much more precise term
than Gothic, which can cover anything from Chartres cathedral to pale
chicks with long hair... :) I recommend staying with Hufnagel.

Eyolf

--
  Gentlemen, I want you to know that I am not always right, but I am
  never wrong. -Samuel Goldwyn