Re: NR 2.8 Ancient music ready for review

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Re: NR 2.8 Ancient music ready for review
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 00:04:15 +0200 (CEST)

Very nice, I like the structure and your explanatory add-ons! Just a few nitpicking comments:

* 2.8.3 (Typesetting mensural music): "There are no rests in Gregorian chant notation; instead, it uses Divisiones." I would have expected this statement to appear somewhere in 2.8.4 (Typesetting Gregorian chant) instead.

* 2.8.4 (Typesetting Gregorian chant):

  * "... by placing one of the joining commands pes or flexa ..." => "...
    by placing one of the joining commands \pes or \flexa ..."

  * "... by modifying the shape of a single-note neume with \auctus and
    one of the direction markers \descendens or \ascendens, e.g.  \[
    \auctus \descendens a \] ...": Replace "\auctus" => "\auctum".  N.B.:
    From an implementation point of view, I felt the need to minimize
    redundancy in the input language and therefore only defined the
    neutrum form "auctum".  Maybe users prefer using the correctly
    declined forms?

  * FYI: gregorian.ly defines also the commands \versus, \responsum,
    \ij, \iij, \IJ, and \IIJ that will produce the corresponding
    characters (e.g. for use in lyrics).  However, since these commands
    uses quite special unicode characters, they will only work with
    properly installed unicode fonts that support these characters.
    Unfortunately, to my knowledge there is no slashed "A" character
    available in unicode.  (As far as I know, all of these commands
    have not at all been documented so far.)

* 2.8.5 (Working with ancient music): When talking about incipits and Mensurstriche layout, maybe one could refer to Learning Manual A.5.1 (Transcription of mensural music) for a more comprehensive example.

Greetings,
Juergen