Re: first instance of lyrics in LM could look better

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: first instance of lyrics in LM could look better
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 21:33:53 -0000

Mark Polesky wrote Friday, November 07, 2008 8:08 AM

The lyrics in the "twinkle" example are left-aligned instead
of centered because the example uses \lyricmode instead of
\addlyrics. This is the first example using lyrics in the
Learning Manual, and I think it should look better than this.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/Background#Example-applications

So, in the file /Documentation/user/introduction.itely,

lines 716-722 currently read:

@lilypond[quote,ragged-right]
<<
  \chords { c2 c f2 c }
  \new Staff \relative c' { \time 2/4 c4 c g'4 g a4 a g2 }
  \new Lyrics \lyricmode { twin4 kle twin kle lit tle star2 }

@end lilypond

This example dates back to mid 2003, in release 1.7.18.
This section of the manual was contributed by Hanwen and
has not been changed materially since then.  But I see no
particular relevance in the text to using explicit durations
on the syllables, nor a need to use the more sophisticated
named Voice with \lyricsto, so, as \addlyrics is the principal
technique introduced in the Learning Manual, I'll change it
as you suggest.

Thanks

Trevor

I propose that these lines be changed to:

@lilypond[quote,ragged-right]
<<
  \chords { c2 c f2 c }
  \new Staff \relative c' { \time 2/4 c4 c g'4 g a4 a g2 }
  \addlyrics { twin -- kle twin -- kle lit -- tle star }

@end lilypond

- Mark