Re: Using lookup to extract glyphs

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Using lookup to extract glyphs
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 11:02:34 +0100

Quoting Trevor Daniels <address@hidden>:

Valentin Villenave wrote Thursday, November 27, 2008 8:41 AM

2008/11/27 Neil Puttock <address@hidden>:

How about \left-brace and (rotated) \right-brace?  This would make it
much simpler to embed them within text that has font-name overrides.

Great idea!

I agree.

... either two commands with the size as an argument,

\left-brace #20
\right-brace #40

This is my preference.  The functions would need to check
the size for validity, though, as no error message is
produced if an invalid sized brace is used.  LilyPond
just ignores it silently.

Better to let the function round off the size to the closest one that's
available.

If this is implemented there seems to be no further use
for \lookup and overriding font-encoding, AFAICS.  These
are briefly described in NR 1.8.3 under Fonts explained,
which seems adequate if these brace functions are to be
available and documented.

I was just about to say that you need to set the font-encoding also to get access to the standard text font, until I realized that I had
implemented the \normal-text markup for that purpose, some years ago.

   /Mats