Re: French viol/lute tablature

From: Jean-Charles Malahieude
Subject: Re: French viol/lute tablature
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 16:18:15 +0100

Le 29.11.2008 15:30, Jonathan Kulp disait :

Kim Shrier wrote:
I need to typeset some French viol tab and I am looking for some
guidance on how to add this capability to lilypond.  In looking
at the code for guitar tab, I am unsure it I should create a new
type of engraver or if I should add some parameters to the existing
code.

Some of the differences between viol and guitar tab are:

1. finger positions are denoted with letters instead of numbers.

2. the letters sit above the line representing the string instead
   of on the line.

3. note durations are indicated by displaying a notehead and stem
   if needed above the staff directly over the letter.

4. if there are multiple notes with the same duration, only the
   first note has a duration specified.

5. rests are indicated with a note duration above the staff and
   no letter.

For item number 1, I can add a definition for letter-tablature-format
to output-lib.scm so that it is always available.  I can also add
tunings for bass, tenor, and treble viol to this file.

For item number 2, I could add a property that would adjust the
vertical position of the letter so that it would be above the line.

Items 3, 4, and 5 look like they need completely different code
from what is in the guitar tab code and trying to fit it in using
properties might not be the best approach.

 From the lilypond source point of view, it would be nice to do
something like:

  \new TabStaff \with {
    tablatureStyle = #french-tablature-style
  }
  {
    \set TabStaff.stringTunings = #bass-viol-tuning
    \music
  }

The tablatureStyle would set the letter-tablature-format, set the
property to control the positioning of the letters, and change the
note duration style.

Any advice on how to approach this would be appreciated.

Kim Shrier

Hi Kim,

I was responsible for revising parts of the Fretted Strings documentation recently, and reading back through it now I feel it's an awful oversight not to have something about French-style tablature. Do you already have code that makes letters instead of numbers? I've been trying to make this work for the last 20 minutes based on an old bit of code from a mailing list posting but can't do it. If you can do this, then let's add something to the documentation about it, or at the very least add an example to Selected Snippets in the fretted strings section. I'm afraid I can't help much implementing the things you want, but it sounds like you already have good ideas on how to do it and I can help get them into the documentation for future users once you (and/or others) have figured it out. A predefined french-tablature-style is a great idea!

Best,

Jon

A French user has made soething about it. Have a look at http://www.musicolibre.eu/spip.php?article134
and contact  Jean-Marc, just in case...