Re: horizontally centering denominator in compound time signatures

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: horizontally centering denominator in compound time signatures
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 21:16:39 +0000

2008/11/30 Neil Puttock <address@hidden>:

> That's because the 'space-alist for BarLine uses 'extra-space instead
> of 'minimum-space for time-signature; why this should stop the
> collision, I don't know.

Right, I've had a dig around in break-alignment-interface.cc, and I
think I've worked out what's happening here; this is a separate issue
from the overlapping \center-column problem.

Here's the code from Break_alignment_interface::calc_positioning_done ():

      if (r)
        {
          if (type == ly_symbol2scm ("extra-space"))
            offsets[next_idx] = extents[idx][RIGHT] + distance
              - extents[next_idx][LEFT];
          /* should probably junk minimum-space */
          else if (type == ly_symbol2scm ("minimum-space"))
            offsets[next_idx] = max (extents[idx][RIGHT], distance);
        }

If 'extra-space is set for the next grob, its offset from the current
grob is increased by its left extent.  As this suggests, there's no
problem with the left extent here; it's just ignored when
'minimum-space is set.  You can test this by trying to change the car
of 'X-extent: it has no influence on the positioning unless the
space-alist is changed.

Regards,
Neil