Re: high-quality typesetting within lilypond

From: Till Rettig
Subject: Re: high-quality typesetting within lilypond
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 21:25:15 +0200

Werner LEMBERG schrieb:
I wonder how we are going to get high-quality typesetting within
lilypond.  This is a fundamental question: I think we shouldn't extend
lilypond so that it is contains a complete typesetting engine;
instead, we should rather look for alternatives.

I see two possibilities.

  . We come to the conclusion that rendering with Pango is sufficient;
    in case there are still deficiencies we should improve interaction
    with Pango or ask the Pango people to implement what we need.  If
    someone wants more, he or she should use lilypond-book.  Arguably,
    this is the way to go, at least for now, since it is simple and
    straightforward (and it has already been added to lilypond).
I couldn't find so much details about pango, but it seems to miss some of the nicer font handling abilities of e.g. OT fonts. Here is mainly my concern: I would like to have *REAL* small caps when the font has them and not this faked stuff, it really hurts my eyes. (maybe pango indeed can be configured to do so?)

Well, coming from the LaTeX world it also seems quite nice to have the possibility to put symbols for some typographical signs that are not on the normal keyboard (and I couldn't get used to the neo-layout ), something like \`` for a typographical double quote etc. I would say this also agrees with the philosophy of lilypond since we also put musical notation with symbols and not the unicode equivalents of some notational signs. And what about font substitution while working with lilypond-book: the strings should be set in the documentation font, if I want them to.
  . Use another, external typesetting library which can be linked to
    lilypond.  For example, there have been attempts to create such a
    library for TeX.  I have to dig out the details, but it sounds
    interesting.
I have no idea how big work this would be but the advances might be huge.

Till

      Werner