Re: Diatonic notation system

From: Graham Breed
Subject: Re: Diatonic notation system
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 14:55:15 +0800

2008/12/9 Hans Aberg <address@hidden>:
> On 9 Dec 2008, at 13:26, Graham Breed wrote:
>
> I attach an example file.

I don't see any transpositions.

> I think it is the commented out part (long time ago), which for some reason
> only works with E24. Therefore, the keys must be written explicitly.

There's a key signature specification which does look like a bug to
me.  I get the same result in 2.11.65.  Have you reported it as a bug?

Some other things from your comments:

The maqamGlyphs list needed ratios because it's quoted, and so the
accidental lookup wasn't doing the correct match against the quoted
pair.  I'm not sure exactly what the right hand side of a variable
assignment is, but this seems to work:

maqamGlyphs = #(list
       (cons FLATFLAT "accidentals.flatflat")
       (cons FLATHALFFLAT "accidentals.mirroredflat.flat")
       (cons FLAT "accidentals.flat")
       (cons HALFFLAT "accidentals.mirroredflat")
       (cons NATURAL "accidentals.natural")
       (cons HALFSHARP "accidentals.sharp.slashslash.stem")
       (cons SHARP "accidentals.sharp")
       (cons SHARPHALFSHARP "accidentals.sharp.slashslash.stemstemstem")
       (cons SHARPSHARP "accidentals.doublesharp")
       )

You say:

%{ Causes error in lilypond/current/scm/lily-library.scm:135:5:
  In procedure ly:book-process in expression (process-procedure book paper ...)
  Wrong type (expecting exact integer): -5/3
%}

I don't see this error.  Looks like a bug's been fixed.

> Let me know how to do E53.

I'll look into it.

>>> Do not know.
>>
>> Then why are you asking for changes on the developer list?
>
> I have not asked for changes, have I?

What is the purpose of your being on the development list?

>> It records a nominal and a rational alteration.  It generalizes to
>> different alterations.
>
> But that is tied to E12, right?

No!

>>> Perhaps you are stuck to the same idea, and repeating.
>>
>> I'm stuck with that idea because it works.
>
> In certain primitive settings.

In what settings doesn't it work?

>> Then don't use E24 for Arabic music.
>
> You already do.

I didn't think I used either Arabic music or E24 but I'll yield to
your superior insight.

                           Graham