Re: GOP pre-planning: newsletter

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: GOP pre-planning: newsletter
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 20:31:34 +0100

2008/12/11 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> I am now going to shock you by being direct, non-excited, and
> possibly less than completely polite.  I humbly beg forgiveness
> for this astonishing lapse in my character, and hope that it does
> not stain my reputation forever.

Honestly? Your reputation is already pretty damaged on this side :-)

> I question your use of the word "still".  Why do you think that
> 2009 will be different from 2008 when it comes to your available
> time?

Because http://www.orchestre-montpellier.com/francais/rep_affaire_etrangere.html

(I know you can't read French, but should understand what "1 février
2009" means).

> - will your operas be such a huge failure that you stop composing
>  anything, giving you more time for the Report?

It's not composing that takes time (at least not to me).

> - will your operas be such a huge financial success that you stop
>  teaching piano, giving you more time for the Report?

That is the plan (on a long-term perspective). But it's not the
teaching either that takes time.

> - will your all your friends abandon you?  In such a way that you
>  forget about trying to make new friends, and giving you more
>  time for the Report?

The Report is precisely my ultimate (and only succesful so far)
attempt to make friends :)

> - will the French government decide that artists are an extremely
>  valuable national treasure and should have grant money thrown at
>  them, letting you stop teaching piano, giving you more time for
>  the Report?

Nope, which is why I'm seriously considering becoming a plumber.

> - will you sell your compositions (and soul!) to SACEM so that you
>  can stop teaching piano, giving you more time for the Report?

Nope. All the SACEM will get from me (if politely asked) is my middle finger.

> - will you renounce your worldly possessions and join a monestary
>  that gives you food, shelter, and an internet connection,
>  letting you spend your entire life on the holy contemplation of
>  OSS and participation in OSS, giving you more time for the Report?

Except that I don't refer to it as "OSS", I've already made vows of
poverty, chastity and obedience by entering the HolyPond community
(you may now call me "brother").

> Anyway, I think it would be really neat to have a newsletter with
> a regular schedule, and 1/week would be difficult to maintain.
> Especially if you're still doing bugs and whatnot.

1 week was neat, except for special issues that should take me two
weeks. As I said, I am still willing and (soon) able to happily handle
a weekly rhythm.

> That said, it *would* be nice to have it weekly -- say, every
> Sunday night -- rather than every two weeks.  And finding /
> training a new Bug Meister would be easier than finding somebody
> else to do the newsletter.

Please RMFM more carefully. I am really eager to be back on track with
LilyPond stuff, and you have no idea what a relief it would be to be
done with my score (the official deadline was on November the 1st FYI,
so it's getting more life-or-death everyday).

Cheers,
Valentin