Re: PATCH: Arrowed accidentals for microtone notation

From: Maximilian Albert
Subject: Re: PATCH: Arrowed accidentals for microtone notation
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 00:43:26 +0100

2008/12/14 Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>:

>> Can we please make sure to include at least one example of input
>> syntax in the newsfile?
>
> Well, it's Maximilian's turn...

Yup, sorry. During the last couple of days I didn't have access to the
computer I presently work on (and won't have for another few days),
whence the delay in my response. Werner, thanks a lot for applying and
cleaning up the patches! I should have taken care of using the right
the coding style in the first place.

As for the input syntax, that's a good point anyway. So far I only
used the arrowed accidentals by tweaking the maqam example and
defining separate names for all combinations of notes with all kinds
of arrowed accidentals (see the attached file micro1.ly). The drawback
is that the microtonal notes are associated with a certain pitch and
that one has to add a huge list of note name definitions at the
beginning of the file. One could also redefine the +/- 1/4 and +/- 3/4
alterations to use the arrowed accidentals, as in the attached file
micro2.ly. The drawback ist that one cannot use the "regular"
quartertone accidentals any more since they are overridden by the new
definition (and microtones are still attached to a specific pitch).

Do you think we should provide "standard" names for all the notes with
microtonal alterations? These would have to be localized, right?
(which I don't know how to do properly since I'm not familiar with the
naming conventions in other languages.) Or should we require the user
to make his own definitions each time (s)he wants to use these
accidentals? Which of these methods should be included in the news
file as an example for the recommended syntax?

Max