accel./rit. in MIDI?

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: accel./rit. in MIDI?
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 00:40:07 -0800 (PST)

I know it's not supported presently, but could it ever be
possible for a lilypond file to generate a MIDI file that
speeds up and slows down on command? With commands like
\accel and \rit that look for the next \tempo, much like
\< and \> look for the next dynamic. How hard would it be
to accomplish this from a programming point of view and
what might it possibly entail? Or is this idea too
unwieldly to warrant exploring? If such a feature were
feasible, I dare say, it would be awesome.

- Mark