Re: Post-2.12 release plans

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Post-2.12 release plans
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 18:54:43 -0000

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote Monday, December 22, 2008 6:22 PM

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:

Does this mean you do not want to make any difference between odd and
even versions?

No.  .13 would be the "devel" version, where syntax changes are
introduced, and any major breakage occurs.  It would last as long
as necessary to fix the major breakage and everybody to get their
syntax changes introduced.  Then .14 would be released.

Ideally, I'd shoot for 6 months of .12, 2 months of .13, then .14.
I mean, if there's no syntax changes and no major breakage, then
there's no point stopping .12 and calling it .13.  Now, 6 months
without syntax changes is probably a bit long at this point, so
.12 might only be 3 months.  But hopefully .14 or .16 could have a
longer stable branch.

It would be really nice if we could invert the rhythms of
stable/devel: have a long stable cycle with many releases (like 2.11
had), and then    have a flurry of 2.13 releases which introduce
incompatibilities, and push out 2.14 asap.

I'm still not sold on the benefits of this.  There are many users who do not
want a changing environment - the ones that are still on 2.10, for example.
If we go along with this, there will be no uniform stable environment.  Even
if each of these users just downloads a single version and sticks with that,
they may choose different versions, which means they have different
documentation and different features. That complicates discussion and
help on -user.  It also makes keeping the documentation in synch more
difficult. That doesn't matter in a release clearly tagged as "development",
but it does matter in a release tagged as stable.

I still think the benefits of a truly stable release for those users who
simply want to engrave music should not be discarded lightly.  So far
this discussion has been limited to the -devel list.  Should we not seek
opinion on-user?

Trevor