GOP: new website

From: Graham Percival
Subject: GOP: new website
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 21:03:20 -0800

I'm trying to decide how to build the new website.  In particular,
I'd like to be able to create pdfs as well as the html.

I currently see four options:
1)  Build the website with texinfo and texi2html.  With sufficient
stylesheets and texi2html hacking, I think this is /possible/, but
I don't know how much appetite there is for this.  I would only
touch the content, not presentation, of course.

2)  Continue writing in html, and use one of the html2latex
scripts to make pdfs.  So far I'm not impressed by the html2latex
scripts I'm seeing, but I haven't spend very long looking.

3)  Use one of these newfangled langauges like SGML or docbook or
whatever to produce pdf and html.  I really don't like the idea of
adding another language to the project, though.

4)  Abandon the "complete website as pdf" idea and just give
people a tarball of the website for off-online browsing.

Particular parts of the website I'd like to have available
offline:
- the crash course and short tour in Introduction.
- the essay about typesetting in the About
- the FAQ, publication list, acknowledgements
- getting help

That's over half the material.

So far I'm leaning towards #4; interested readers can still print
the HTML directly, although the pagination will suck.  And to be
honest, it's not like the pdfs that texinfo produces are fantastic
examples of typesetting, either.