Re: Mensural style

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Re: Mensural style
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 02:47:04 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009, Trevor Daniels wrote:

BTW, the term "accidental style" appears twice in the documentation with a
completely different meaning:
- in 1.1.3, meaning the way how to display and reset accidentals

In the detailed explanation they are named "rules" so I propose to
always call them "accidental rules" and remove the word "styles" from
the whole section.

Hmm.  Unfortunately the function is called set-accidental-style,
so calling them "rules" might be just as confusing.

- in 2.8.3, meaning the graphical appearance of accidentals

If we do the latter, this can be kept as "accidental styles" or be
augmented with "graphic accidental styles".

I think changing the description here to "glyph" might be
better, since the override here already uses "glyph-name...".

So "The style for accidentals and key signatures is ..." would become
"The glyphs used for accidentals and key signatures are ..."

The "Accidental" property "style" has only recently been replaced by a new property "glyph-name-alist". Apart from that, Lily almost consistently uses the term "style" for choosing between different sets of related glyphs:

- a "style" property is available and documented at least for each of the grobs "Notehead", "Rest" and "TimeSignature";

- a property "flag-style" is available and documented for "Stem" grobs;

- clef styles for the \clef command are documented in Sect. 2.8.3 and 2.8.4.

I heavily vote for sticking to this naming convention as consistently as possible.

Best wishes,
Juergen