Re: contributor/user split in docs

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: contributor/user split in docs
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 23:55:34 -0800

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 01:22:47AM +0100, John Mandereau wrote:
> Le vendredi 02 janvier 2009 à 18:52 -0800, Graham Percival a écrit :
> > I'll have the pdf on my
> > website for GOP, and after the first few weeks, this document
> > shouldn't be changing much, so the normal stable release will be
> > fine.
>
> IMHO a few weeks won't be enough for stabilizing the Guide, but I guess
> this will be no problem you upload the conributors' guide to
> lilypond.org, a simple cron job could do.

IMO the "stabilized" guide is once we have the info that's
currently in all the README.txt files and the website.  I've
already covered the devel info from web/, so now all we need is
the CG stub in Documentation/devel/ and me to process the doc,
translator, and frog READMEs.

Plus another 2 weeks of build system debugging, more READMEs
found, anything from the wiki, etc.  But really, if it isn't in a
presentable state (ie worth telling to Frogs to look at it) in 3
weeks, it'll be because I get arrested at the border for having
long hair and using linux.

BTW, my first flight tomorrow is 13 hours, and the seats have
power.  So I'll have plenty of material to commit as soon as I
have an internet connection in Singapore.  :)

> [Off-topic below]
>
> > I keep all my svn/git checkouts on /sd, of course.  I suppose
> > there's plenty of disk space to compile stuff on it, but...
> > 630 Mhz.
>
> This is the frequency in idle state, it should increase to 900 MHz every
> time the CPU becomes busy.

I've heard that it requires changing an option on the bios.  IIRC,
it didn't kick up to 900 mhz when I compiled a project for 45
minutes.

> >   And I don't like pushing the hardware on this thing, since
> >   I'm in serious trouble if anything happens to it.
>
> Unless you can't easily apply the vendor warranty nor find cheap
> components for replacement, I wouldn't make worry about pushing
> the hardware if I were you; but I can understand you'd like to
> be careful...  for example I don't know how quickly you'd reach
> the SD write count limit with intensive usage.

It's over a year old so I'm pretty sure it's not under warranty.
Besides, that's not the issue -- this will be my only
communication with my family and friends.  I'd rather spend a day
without food than spend a day without email.

Now, when building this system I kept careful notes of what files
I changed, what packages I installed, and make a shell script to
do everything.  So in theory, I could buy a new eeepc, run my
script, and assuming I had a good internet connection, have my
computer back to normal in an hour... but I'd rather never have to
use that.  :)